We are hiring for a Barn Manager for our Rock Creek Horse Center. It is a unique location based in Rock Creek park yet in Washington, DC. The facility is open year round (includes holidays and weekends) and hours of operation are: 6:30 am - 9 pm. You would work various shifts through-out the week.
If you love working with horses and have an equine management degree or a minimum of 5 years of experience, this position is for you!
The Barn Manager works under the General Manager’s direction to ensure a healthy and safe environment for a busy 57 horse barn. Rock Creek is a public stable with an active boarder, student, therapeutic riding, and volunteer community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Managing and working with barn staff
- Ordering feed, hay, shavings, etc., and monitoring feed changes seasonally.
- Working closely with the veterinarian, organizing medical supplies, and overseeing administration of daily drugs and supplements.
- Proficiency with wound care, giving shots (IM, IV, and SubQ), applying wraps, poultices, sweat wraps, etc.
- Regularly updating school and boarder horse records of health (coggins, shoeing, dental, etc.).
- Working closely with co-managers, instructors, and administrative staff on general well-being of the horses.
- Being on-call for horse and barn emergencies.
- Addressing the needs of the boarders.
- Assisting the General Manager in all needed tasks.
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- Equine Management/Equine Science Degree (or commensurate experience)
- Staff Management Experience
- Billing/Accounting Experience
- Feed Ordering Experience
- Excellent Customer Service
- Strong Teamwork Skills
- Commitment to Safety at All Times
- Proficiency with Email and Spreadsheets
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. bags, stack hay bales, clean stalls, walk/stand for a full shift, and perform chores as needed.
Guest Services offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including Paid Time Off and a generous 401(k) Match.
Veterans, Minorities, People with Disabilities and Women especially encouraged to apply.
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.